Lamaze Classes
So, this weekend we finally attended our birth training course. Now see there were two options 2.5 hours every week for 6 weeks or 9-5 Sat. and 12-5 Sunday (13 hour marathon). We opted for the marathon to just get it done with in one weekend. Below I will detail you our insights and experiences from the course which are quite interesting.
The Instructor/Instruction
One thing that made the class go easier was the fact that the instructor was nice. I guess in general almost anything in life goes better when you have a nice and very upbeat person in charge. So, it was long but she always smiled and stayed up beat. The biggest gain from the classes is that it makes the unknown "known". Meaning we both had a lot of anxiety over the birthing process and had no clue what to expect or do when the time came. However, this class really gave you insight into what to expect and what may or may not go wrong, how to deal with it etc. So from that end I feel so much more prepared and understand the process. We even got to tour all the facilities at the hospital in the labor and delivery department. We also got some good questions to ask our insurance people and doctor before we go in. We would have had no clue you even needed to ask those things.
The Surprise
By far one of the most intriguing parts of the class came on the first day about 2 hours into the class. We were there with about 6 other couples all having their first child too. The due dates ranged from March 16-April 16. It is always crazy to me that they don't let you sign up until you are that far along. I guess you know where I'm going with this….. One of the girls went into labor!!!!! Well actually we were talking about "water" breaking and how some women have a gush and others a small leak over time. The instructor said either way when this happens you need to go to the hospital. One of the girls had been leaking since last night and didn't realize what it was or that it was a big deal until we went over all the details. Then she and her husband after talking to the instructor headed up the elevator to labor and delivery. I felt sorry for them, she looked miserable and had developed diabetes and preclampsia during her pregnancy she was ready to deliver you could tell.
The Movies
During the whole pregnancy I have felt some apprehention about being in the labor and delivery room. I knew a lot of things could happen and quite frankly not all of them flattering to the mother. Well in the class we watched several births at ground zero if you will. I mean the bad, the ugly, and the uhhhhh! After one of the more brutal videos the instructor asked for questions or comments and one of the other guys said, "I'm glad that wasn't in HD." But, really now there isn't much I haven't seen so bring it on, I want to be there to support Sarah as much as possible.
"Breathe!"
When most people think of Lamaze classes they picture the instructor showing everyone how to breath. That is a part of it, and I was amazed at how relaxing the techniques were. The instructor was saying they also travel to companies and other places giving seminars on how to deal with stress, tension and how to calm down and relax. The techniques are the same. She took us through a lot of them and played soft music and sometimes turned off the lights and I really liked it and may try doing some of it on my own just to relax after a really tough day.
Partners
The other thing I realized during the class was just how important my role is. I figured there was nothing I could do but stand there helplessly while Sarah was in pain. However, they gave us tons of massaging, stretching, and relaxation techniques to do for the women during labor. A support partner, as they called it, really does make a difference for the women delivering and can make it much easier. I'm going to do the best I can to not let my massage hands wear out or stop encouraging Sarah.
Statistics
During the class we learned some statistics about pregnancy that I never knew before and thought it would be fun to share a couple of them with you guys. Maybe you already knew, but I would be surprised. First off, only 11% of women actually have their water break before going into active labor. I would have thought only 11% didn't. Also, once a woman goes into active labor (defined as contractions 3-5 minutes apart lasting 30 to 45 seconds continuously for at least one hour) the average time to delivery is 14 hours. That pre active labor part can last hours if not a day or more. So we need to prepare for a long day.
Hope you had fun sharing our Lamaze class experiences.
3 comments:
wow! i cant believe that someone was in labor in your lamaze class....classic! hey tell baby pooten that he better make it a priority to see me next week when i am home.
oh this is becky by the way. Aunt Becky that is.
47.8% of statistics are made up on the spot. -Mishler
Post a Comment