Thursday, August 23, 2012

Big Kid at Kindergarten

Today was a big day.
I'm not even through processing the fact that my baby is in Kindergarten.
He was so excited.
I was not.
I was a mess.
My stomach hurt and I couldn't eat.
He happily ate everything on his plate.

Dustin dropped him off at morning care at Jerry Ross Elementary at 6:15 a.m. like we will each day. He will ride the bus from there to Winfield Elementary, the K-2 school.
Then, I met him at Winfield to help him from his bus to his room. He didn't think he needed my help (and truthfully, he probably didn't) but there was NO WAY this momma was going to leave him hanging, just in case.

Did I cry?
Yes. But not in front of him. When I walked out of his classroom, I saw another mom crying and LOST IT. I cried all the way out the building (and a knowing aide told me not to worry -- they'd all been there), in the parking lot, and in my car all the way to Meijer on Rte. 30 (about 20 minutes).

*Sigh*

Dear Miles,
We are SO proud of you. You are the kindest, most fun, empathetic, crazy kid I've ever met. It has been my privilige to get to know you these last five years. You are a big boy now and are going out into the world on your own and I know that you will be fine. I do. It's hard being a mom because you're constantly having to let go a little more each day. This was a big one, though.
How did I know you're going to be fine?
As I was walking out the door, you ran up to me. "Mom, I need to know what bus I ride. Should I ask you or my teacher?" I showed you the chart that had your name and your bus number. "Hmm... I better write that down." You then proceeded to go to the sheet you were coloring and write down 79 (with a backwards 9) so you would remember.
I about died.
So independent. So smart. So awesome.
You can do this, buddy. The next 13 years of school are going to be great. I can't wait to see what you accomplish.
Love you more each day,
Mom

First Day outfit -- note the Spiderman shoes. The eyes light up.

Angry Birds Backpack


Daddy's Mini Me.

Proud. Very, very proud.

With Baby Bro. Can't believe you used to fit in that same car seat.

On the bus!

You stopped traffic to pose and yelled out cheese. All the parents around were cracking up.


You found your room with me tagging along. You have a locker that you'll share with another kid.

At your seat was a coloring page, crayons, your name tag with stickers to use to decorate it, and a sucker. Your biggest concern? "When do I get to eat the sucker?"

LOVE this boy.

Coloring your picture.

Your first classroom.

Winfield Elementary

2 comments:

Jenny Ko said...

Now I'm gonna cry. BTW- your hair looks fabulous. Did you do something different? So pretty.

hoyle said...

I cried when I read this...such a sweet little man!